Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Special Admission Categories.

Special Admission Categories

Applicants for the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Social Work

All students who wish to become candidates for the B.A. degree in social work shall have completed 48 credits, including SWK 237 (Introduction to Social Work) and SOC 166 (Fundamentals of Sociology), achieved a minimum cumulative index of 2.7, and submitted an application to the Social Work Program.

Persons interested in the Social Work Program should request a program brochure and application from the Office of the Director (Carman Hall, Room B-18, 718-960-8418).

Applicants for The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Nursing


All students who wish to become candidates for the B.S. in nursing degree are required to take a prenursing sequence of courses in which they must achieve a minimum of a 2.75 index in the required science courses, attain basic skills levels set by the Department of Nursing, be in good academic standing in the College, and meet any other criteria established by the Department of Nursing. Students are admitted at the start of their junior year to the B.S. in Nursing Program on a space-available basis. All candidates for the Program in Nursing should request, prior to admission to the College, copies of the Departmental curriculum and the brochure, "Nursing at Lehman," available in the Department of Nursing (T-3 Building, Room 209, 718-960-8374).


Freshman applicants to Prenursing are admitted through the University Application Processing Center (UAPC) by the usual City University admission procedure. UAPC determines eligibility by the uniform admission standards applied to all Lehman freshman applicants.

Registered Nurses

City University A.A.S. nursing graduates are allocated by the University Application Processing Center (UAPC) to Lehman College on the basis of space availability, Grade Point Average, and success on the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX). Other transfer students must satisfy these same eligibility requirements. Applicants who attended a hospital school of nursing and have earned no previous college credits should file the transfer application through UAPC. Those who have earned previous college credits, in addition to having attended a hospital school of nursing, should also file a transfer application through UAPC. To earn credit for courses taken at a hospital school of nursing, students must (1) present a license to practice as a registered nurse and (2) earn credits from Excelsior College (formerly Regents College) by examination in specific nursing courses.

Readmission to Lehman College

Effective Fall 2019: After more than two consecutive semester of absence, students who want to be readmitted to the college must file a readmit application with the Office of Admissions (Shuster Hall, Room 161). Students who do not have financial obligations to the college and have a 2.0 GPA or greater may file an application. The completed application and a $20.00 non-refundable fee is required; official transcripts of any coursework completed during the absence must also be submitted with the application in order to be evaluated for readmission and transfer of credits. Students who have attended any institution since last attending Lehman must meet the general admission transfer GPA requirement. 

Students who stop-out for one or two semesters maintain their active status at the college. During this period students should remain in contact with their academic departments. Active status does not guarantee access to all campus facilities and services. 
Students who do not meet the academic eligibility requirements must file an appeal for readmission with the Office of Academic Standards and Evaluation (Shuster Hall, Room 116). All students must settle their financial obligations to the college prior to applying for readmission. 

Non-Degree Students

The admission requirements for non-degree students are the same as the admission requirements for matriculants. (See "Admission Requirements for Freshmen" and "Admission Requirements for Transfer Students.") Non-degree students (non-matriculants) must apply directly to the Lehman College Admissions Office. The deadline for all non-degree admissions is the last day of registration.

Visiting Students

CUNY students who are pursuing a degree at another CUNY college who wish to take courses at Lehman on a non-degree basis must request a CUNY e-permit online via CUNYfirst from their home college in order to attend Lehman. Tuition for courses taken at Lehman is paid at the student's home college. The student will not be required to submit any fees to Lehman College.

Non-CUNY students who are attending a non-CUNY college must submit an unofficial copy of their college transcript or a letter from their primary college to the Lehman Admissions Office that verifies their current enrollment and good academic standing. Visiting students must file an application for Visiting College Students and pay a $65 application processing fee. Returning visiting students will pay a $10 readmission fee.

Permission to register as a visiting student is valid for only one semester at a time. Students who wish to renew their status as visiting students must submit new documentation from their primary colleges for each succeeding semester.

International Student Admissions

International students who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents must file the appropriate freshman or transfer student application and meet the corresponding admission requirements. (See "Admission Requirements for Freshmen" and "Admission Requirements for Transfer Students" in this Bulletin.) In addition, those students who were educated in a language other than English are required to submit a minimum TOEFL score of 500 on the paper exam.

Once the student has been admitted to Lehman by the University Admissions Processing Center (UAPC), he or she will be asked to submit financial and other documents that will satisfy the requirements for the I-20 form. Once the I-20 form is sent, the student must present the form to the American embassy or consulate in his or her home country in order to obtain an F-1 visa.

All applicants, including those who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents, may be classified as international students for admissions-processing purposes if their education has taken place outside the United States. These applicants must submit their applications and transcripts through UAPC; they may not apply directly through the College during Direct Admissions periods. All non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an official translation into English as defined by City University guidelines.


The City University maintains a special outreach program for returning veterans who might not be familiar with the opportunities for college study open to them.

Veterans desiring to avail themselves of the benefits provided under Public Law 89-358 may register at Lehman as matriculants, paying tuition and fees. If they matriculate, the College may allow them up to eight credits for United States Armed Forces Institute courses in which they have passed final examinations.

Matriculated veterans of the U.S. armed forces who (a) have paid tuition and fees, (b) are upper-division students (an upper-division student is one who has received passing grades in courses representing 61 or more credits), and (c) have satisfactorily completed a minimum of 30 credits at Lehman will be awarded credit, but must file an application in order to receive it.

The Veterans Counseling Service (Shuster Hall, Room 238) advises veterans on the benefits for which they are eligible. The application form for benefits to be paid by the Veterans Administration may be obtained in the Office of Veterans and Military Affairs (Shuster Hall, Room 201 A/B).

Candidates for a Second Undergraduate Degree

Lehman College accepts candidates for a second undergraduate degree when the second degree represents preparation discrete from the first bachelor's degree. Candidates must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence (see the definition of residence credits under the heading of "Credit Requirements" in this Bulletin). Second-degree applicants must file the City University Transfer Student Application.

College Now for High School Students

College Now is a collaborative initiative of the City University of New York and the New York City Department of Education. Its primary goals are to improve the academic achievement of high school students and to help New York City public high school students meet or exceed the requirements for high school graduation and the admissions requirements for baccalaureate degree programs at the City University of New York. College Now also seeks to provide underprepared high school students with the enriched instruction and enhanced support services they need to do well in high school and to be prepared for college.

In most cases, a public high school partners with a CUNY college to design a program of academic and preparatory courses and workshops. College Now also offers two summer programs and professional development opportunities for teachers.

High school students can attend a variety of on-campus activities and, depending on their qualifications, choose from the following courses and workshops:

  • introductory-level college credit courses; and/or

  • non-credit preparatory courses and workshops; and/or

  • specially developed high school credit classes.

Each college/high school partnership develops its own course offerings based on the needs of the student population at a particular school and the strengths and resources of the institutions involved. Students who enroll in college credit courses must pass the ELA or Math A/B Regents examinations with grades of 75 or better, or achieve a 480 (or equivalent on the revised test) on the SAT verbal and math sections.

Senior Citizens

New York State residents 60 years and older as of the first day of classes are permitted to enroll as auditors in Lehman College undergraduate courses on a space-available basis, tuition-free; proof of age is required for admission to the program. Individuals enrolling under this program are charged a $65 fee per semester plus the $15 Consolidated Fee. Applications can be obtained and filed in Shuster Hall, Room 161. Senior citizens who wish to enroll for credit must pay full tuition and fees.

Immunization Registration Requirement

Students who do not submit proof of measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) immunization or who fail to return the meningococcal meningitis response form within a statutory grace period shall be prohibited from attending the institution. For additional information, contact the Health Services Center located in Room 188 of the T-3 Building at 718-960-8900.

Public Health Law 2165 requires that postsecondary students be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).

All registered full-time students and part-time students born on or after January 1, 1957 who are enrolled for at least six, but fewer than twelve semester hours (or equivalent) per semester in an approved degree program or registered certificate program must submit proof of MMR immunization. Students may be exempt from the required MMR immunizations for religious or medical reasons. To qualify for a religious exception, students must submit a signed statement, or in the event the student is a minor (under 18), a signed statement from their parent or guardian, that they hold sincere and genuine religious beliefs that prohibit immunization. To qualify for a medical exception, students must submit a written statement from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner indicating that such immunization may be detrimental to their health.

Public Health Law 2167 requires that postsecondary institutions provide written information about meningococcal meningitis to its students and that students complete, sign, and return a meningococcal meningitis response form. Public Health Law 2167 does not require that students be immunized against meningitis.

Public Health Law 2167 requires colleges to distribute written information about meningococcal meningitis disease and vaccination and students to complete, sign, and return to the college, a meningococcal meningitis response form that: (a) confirms that the college has provided the information about meningococcal meningitis; and (b) indicates that either: (1) the student has received immunization against meningococcal meningitis within the ten years preceding the date of the response form; or (2) the student has decided against receiving the vaccination. This law applies to students who are enrolled in at least six semester hours (or the equivalent) per semester. No student may be exempt from receiving information or returning the response form.